The shelter environment is a very stressful place that affects the psychological well-being of the animals. Comprehensive behavior programs are essential to keep the animals behaviorally and emotionally healthy during their stay. This eight-week course will give you the knowledge and skills to develop an effective behavior program aimed at improving the welfare of the animals in your care.
UPCOMING DATES: 1/30/2023 - 4/2/2023 (Register Now)
Who will benefit from this program?
· Anyone currently affiliated with an animal shelter or rescue organization who wants to learn more about animal behavior as it relates to the shelter/foster environment.
· Anyone who wants to improve the emotional wellbeing of the animals in your care.
· Anyone seeking a behavior specialist position with an animal shelter or rescue organization.
What You Will Learn
· Gain knowledge on how to read dog and cat animal body language and signaling
· Learn techniques for safe, humane handling of the animals
· Understand how the shelter environment effects the emotional wellbeing of the animals and how to use stress reduction techniques to improve welfare
· Gain knowledge on how to keep the animals physically, mentally, and socially stimulated through shelter-wide enrichment programs
· Understand the value of effective canine and feline behavior assessments
· Obtain the knowledge and skills needed to implement training and behavior modification techniques to improve the behavior and emotional state of the shelter animals
· Obtain skills needed to ensure quality customer service for adoption counseling and follow-up.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs): 4.8 CEUs
Course Code: UNSM 050
Course Price: $399
*The following organizations recognize CEUs associated with the program (may be subject to change):
IAABC - 16 CEUs (International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants)
CCPDT - 4 CEUs for trainers; 12 CEUs for behavior consultants (The Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers)
CAWA - 4.8 (The Association of Animal Welfare Advancement)